Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A response to "Hidden in the Attic" by Bertha Mason

I would like everyone to know that I am outraged at my husband's behavior! He had a lot of nerve to lock me in the attic the way he did! That is no way to treat your wife! I live a wretched life, with very little food or water and I am treated like a prisoner in my own home! Edward Rochester is a poor excuse for a man, and Jane Eyre should be ashamed of herself! She should know that adultery is wrong, but Edward must not have told her I even existed. How could he betray me like that?!

I knew something wasn't right though because my friend Grace Poole told me that a young girl was living at our home. She told me that she saw the pair together often. I could not have stopped the relationship since I am not allowed to leave the attic, but I tried very hard to end it. When I first heard that my despicable husband may have been cheating on me, I was furious--I escaped from my attic cell and tried to set Edward's bed chamber on fire. That wench Jane must have put it out though. I have decided that our marriage can no longer go on the way it is. I feel that it is too late to make it work, so it must end. I have been corresponding to my lawyers, and a divorce is very likely.

No comments: